Search

 

 Photo Collections

Wednesday
Jun302010

1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli"

January, 1939

The Division of the Provinces brought about the changes of several superiors.  Dear Mother Cherubim was assigned to Stella Niagara and left for her new work December 20, 1938.  While at St. Mary’s Mother Cherubim made many useful improvements and helped in the settlement of many difficult questions.  Her genuine kindness won the confidence of Sisters and of children, and the remembrance of her is dear to all who had the good fortune to come under her influence.  Mother Virginia, who succeed Mother Cheubim, arrived December 30, and took up her new duties on December 31, 1939

The Christmas vacation closed January 3.  Many of the children were back before time because of the favorable weather.  The winter has been mild; there has not been much cold weather nor snow.

During the month of January we were frightened for a time by scarlet fever.  After consultation with the doctor, it was decided to send home any child who seemed to have the disease, and thus try to prevent the other children from contracting it.  Several children had to be sent home, and in no case was the sickness serious.  The school was not closed.

The examinations for the close of the first semester started on January 16, and continued for four days.  As a little treat the pupils were allowed a social evening in the auditorium. Right Reverend Monsignor McNamera honored the pupils by his presence and partook of the refreshments with them.  The purpose of such entertainment is to teach the children to have a good time in the right way.  The pupils enjoy coming to the school for their social affairs and they act in a simple, natural manner.

January twenty-fifth brought the first dust-storm of the year.  It was not so severe as other storms have been, but is showed that the ground is very dry and much in need of snow.

February, 1939

This month opened with a recreation day in horror of dear old Sister Augustine.  We learned that Sister was able to enjoy the sixtieth anniversary of her profession among the Sisters at St. Michael’s in Buffalo.  To have served the Lord so long is a grace not given to all.  May God continue to bless our dear Sister Augustine.

A jubilee of a different kind was celebrated on February second.  This day was the twenty-fifth anniversary of the day that Conred Lohr came to St. Mary’s to work.  The day was made pleasant for him by presenting him with special gifts.  He was delighted to receive letters from former Superiors who expressed appreciations for  the faithful service Conrad had given to St. Mary’s  .  Conred is an example of the “good and faithful servant”.  May he continue to serve St. Mary’s for many years.

The weather had been so mild for the past months but it turned cold in February and the whole month was a time of severe cold weather.  The snow was needed for the soil.  We were particularly interested because we waited to see whether or not the roof would leak.  The roof had been repaired at a great deal of expense and trouble, but no one knew whether or not the leaks had been repaired.  When the snow melted we wound only one leak still to be repaired.

We, as well as the rest of the people in the world, were shocked and grieved on February 10th to hear of the death of our Holy Father , Pius XI  Even the civil government  took notice of the passing of this great  Pope by hanging flags at half mast and by suspending official business.  Whole pages of the newspapers were devoted to the telling and the praise of his accomplishments.  Every one had to acknowledge that a great man had died, and we as Catholics, are justly proud of this man who was such a worthy Vicar of Christ on Earth R.I.P.

In order to instill into the hearts of the children a love for the Missions, a bazaar was held in the school on February 21st.  Each high school class was assisted by a grade class in conducting an activity.  The whole scheme worked our beautifully.  The arrangements were well organized; the children behaved well; and the financial results were more than twice as large as last year.  The money was divided so that Monsignor McNamara was given $25.00 for the Missions for which the parish is responsible; $50.00 was sent   to dear Mother Alphonse in India.

 March,1939

The second day of March brought with it the news that Cardinal  Pacelli had been elected Bishop of Rome.  It was the first time in our history that we heard the voice from the Vatican proclaim the results of the election.  Even the shouts of the people  plainly heard and our joy and enthusiasm mingled with theirs.  We feel much nearer to the present Holy Father Pius XII because he has been in the United States.  What a marvelous instrument the radio is!

As a special reward for their fine spirit the basketball players were sent to Lincoln to attend the tournament.  The boys reported a most enjoyable time up until the last few seconds  of the game.  At the last basket one of the players was seriously injured and had to be carried from the floor.  While we all felt sorry for the boy who was hurt, we were grateful that our boys were home safe and sound with us again.

The visitation by a Provincial is always a matter of interest, but when that Provincial is making here first visitation, and when that Provincial is an alumna of the school—that is an event.  Dear Mother Erica arrived on March 16 and gave us a most inspiring and enlightening spiritual visit.  She outlined a constructive program of works to be undertaken and showed a keen interest in everything.  The members of the Alumnae Associations prepared a reception for Mother, and as a  surprise had  notified Mothers’ mother.  The dear old lady made the trip and was here to enjoy a short visit during the reception

As a contribution for the celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, the pupils of the grade school presented the operetta, “The Days of the Merry Dances.”  In order to make the stage setting more effective we purchased a cyclorama.  It was a great improvement, the chief attraction of the show was a donkey that switched his tail and stamped his feet just right.  The front and back were not always in harmony, but that made no difference.  The cyclorama and donkey made the show a big success.

A convention was held in Chicago for the Catholic High School teachers of the Middle West on March 29th.  The importance of caring for the non-college group of pupils was stressed, an also the need of adjusting our courses of study and our methods of teaching to the circumstances prevailing now.  A very forceful paper was read condemning the attendance of religious at non-Catholic universities.   Our professor was quoted.  He compared the Sisters to “black ants” running across the campus, and  asked why Sisters should come there for instruction, since the Catholic Church has the only reasonable system of education in the world.  No doubt the Sisters who are so eager to get degrees from secular colleges felt cheap, since even professors themselves admit the inferiority.

April, 1939

Sister Jolenta and Sister Antonella make their final visit to their mother during the first week of April.  Both Sisters visited with us and added by the joy of their presence to our Easter.  They help us to understand and appreciate our religious vocations more than ever.

On the 13th of April the landscape gardener from Arlington began work on the park The lots west of the Academy were unused and Mother Erica had proposed that a park be made on these lots.  Many a heart twinge was felt as the old trees came out.  They had weathered many a storm and were land marks.  The men, assisted by several high school boys, worked steadily until the land was cleared. , ploughed and leveled.  Then the Marshall’s Nursery sent men who place the trees and shrubs according to the plan, and finally planted the grass! It is worthy of note that from the time the work started until the plants were all safe, the weather was perfect.  We took this as a sign of God’s blessing on the work we had undertaken in obedience to dear Mother Erica’s wishes.

In connection with the park we had to put in a well.  A motor pump was the kind best suited to our needs, because it has power to pump the water from the well through the pipes which are under the ground round the edge of the park.  This water system is really the life of the park, because without it there could be no park.  The system has worked perfectly since it was put in.  The water is clear and cold and comes from a depth of 85 feet.  Even when the water supply in the city was low, our well had plenty of water.  Again we recognized the blessing God puts on obedience

Sister Rolanda celebrated the Silver Jubilee of  her religious profession on April 14.  Most of the twenty-five years SisterRolanda has spent here at St. Mary’s.  She has been a faithful worker.  May God grant her many more years

An  outstanding event of the school year was the participation of the students in the regional music contests.  The final one was held in Fullerton, Nebraska, and pupils were rated as Superior, Excellent, or Good. Two of our students, Alma Wallace and Catherine Finley, rated Superior; another Evelyn Mains rated Excellent; and a boy, Robert Perkins, rated Good.  We were all surprised at the great number of young people who took part and at the interest shown by them.  The conduct of all the students was very fine.  Encouraged by this success, a fund was gathered and the two girls who rated Excellent were sent to Colorado Springs to take part in the National contest.  One girl rated second and other rated third among eight thousand.  Each received a medal and at the close of the school, each girl received a gift form the Alumna Association.  It was the first time the school had entered into the contest.  We felt satisfied with the results.  It might have been quite different.  One of the girls fell down the stairs and jammed her instrument on the night before she was to play.. It would have been too bad to have made that trip to Colorado Springs and then not to take part in the contest.  It took quick thinking and efficient management on the part of  one of the chaperons to get the instrument repaired in time.

The Alumnae Association and Alter Society sponsored a Benefit Bazaar for St. Mary’s on April 25th.  The affair was well organized, a large crowd attended, and the sum allotted to St. Mary’s was over $200.00. This money was to be applied to the new stoker which had to be installed, and that amount, together with $400.00 donated by “Con”, was a big help in paying for the stoker.

May 1929

We opened May this year with Vocation Week activities.  A specially prepared program was given each afternoon.  At the close of the formal program, informal discussions were held.  The pupils conducted themselves  well, and although the immediate results are not yet apparent, the ultimate results must be good, because right principles of conduct were freely discussed and the repeated  hearing of the principles finally made an impression.

On May 18th Joan Jackson, a Senior, was baptized.  On the following day she received her First Communion, and a few days later she was received into the Sodality.  Joan had been a Catholic at heart for a long time.  Her father would not let her be baptized until she was self-supporting She took the teachers examinations and was hired as a teacher here at the Academy.  As soon as all business arrangements  were completed, she was free to follow her desires and she lost no time in entering the Church.  Joan is a girl of fine principles and it is to be hoped she will be blessed with a religious vocation.

Mr. George Shoemaker made a fine gift to us on May 24th.  We needed gravel for the walks in the park.  Mr. Shoemaker has pit of excellent blue gravel so he gave us all that were needed to make the walks first class.  It would have cost us much money and worry to get this gravel.  Mr. Shoemaker spared us all the trouble and did the work much better than  we could have had it done.

When the first green fuzz of the grass appeared we used the park officially for the first time.  The occasion was the annual May procession.  The statue of our Blessed Mother was put in the place where we hope some day to have a permanent statue.  The students formed a long procession and gravel paths in the park made an ideal route to the statue of our Lady.

We all felt deep joy in thus consecrating the park to our Lady and in our dreams for the future, we can see many a stately processions passing through the park, and many a heart being lifted to  God and our Lady.  May God make our dreams come true!

June, 1939

The class of 1939 was graduated on June 2nd.  Most of the boarders departed immediately and the house assumed the quiet of vacation.

The number of vacation schools increased to three this summer.  Sister Fides and Sister Constance went to Ewing; Sister Beontine and Sister Aloysius taught at St. John’s in Clearwater; and Sister Jeanette and Sister Arthur opened a new school at Emmet.  The total enrollment was about 200 children.  In each school the children were prepared for First Communion.  The Sisters  made great efforts to bring to the classes the best and most attractive material available.  Old Sister Norberta worked for months ahead preparing pictures and prizes to be given to the children, and the Sodality contributed its share to the cause, but nothing could take the place of the zeal of the self-sacrificing spirit of the Sisters.  The pastors of the schools wrote letters expressing thorough satisfaction and great praise of the work of the Sisters. May God bless their work and make it fruitful in the souls of the children.

Through the great kindness of dear Mother Erica, Sister Dolores, Sister Radigund, and Sister Electa attended the summer School of Catholic Action in Denver.   The days spent there were days of real spiritual treat, full of inspiration and encouragement.  The subjects treated of were numerous, most practical, and timely, and the presentation of them was intellectual and ennobling.  Incidentally, the Sisters enjoyed a visit at Marycrest.  That in itself was worth a trip Denver.

The task of educating the Sisters was continued by sending Sister Nides and Sister Aloysius to Creighton University, and Sister Constance to St. Mary’s College, Leavenworth, for music.  The report cards show that the Sisters worked hard in spite of the intense heat.  Each received high grades.  May Gold bless all the work undertaken for His honor and glory.

Our annual retreat was given by Father Heavey, S.J. of Marquette University.  Father Heavey is a spiritual man who believes in serving God generously.  Faith and generosity were the keynotes of his very fine meditations and conferences.  During the retreat we had ordered ice cream as a treat for the Sisters.  Strangely enough, although it was ordered twice, did not want us to have ice cream just at that time.  We obtained it later with no difficulty.

July, 1939

At the close of retreat we opened classes in high school subjects for those Sisters who have not yet completed their work.  Both the Sisters-students and their teachers showed great zeal and interest in the work.  The weather was quite hot some days but the work was not stopped, and at the end of the session the results of the examinations proved that the Sisters had made good use of their time.  They had even lost a little of their fear of public speaking.

An amusing episode of the summer was the formation of the “Blue and Gray Nuns”.  The title arose from the color of the aprons the Sisters wore.  As usual in all convents, there was much cleaning to be done in St. Mary’s this summer.  We had boys and men to do the hardest work, but there are fine things that only a lady can do right, and so each Sister donned her apron, blue or gray, and with a splendid spirit of generosity and cooperation, put the finishing touches on woodwork, curtains, furniture and beds.  Of course, there were “parties” for Blue and Gray which lightened the work and spread good cheer, and it was not long until we were all proud of the appearance of the buildings.

The inevitable changes among the Sisters began in July.  Dear Sister Alexander went to Alliance to the hospital for examination before having her eyes treated.  She was replaced by Sister Edward.  Sister Bertolfa and Sister Natalie left us on July 10 to go back to Holy Rosary Mission.    Sister Juvantia and Sister George had to spend sometime in the hospital in Alliance, and with the excellent care of our good Sisters there, they both returned in good health.  Sister Andrea came to us on July 14th; Sister Cornelia arrived on August 4th; Sister Clementine and Sister Eleanor, Sister Gertrude, and Sister Aloysius were transferred to the East to be located in their proper province.   Sister Norberta who has had poor health for many years was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital, Alliance.  To each good Sister who left us we wish God’s blessing.  Sister Brigid, Sister Mildred and Sister Elegia are the new members of our community and we bid them a hearty welcome.  May God help us all, East, West, and Middle West, to do His Holy will and to advance in virtue.

Mr. Conrad Lohr made two noteworthy donations to St. Mary’s this summer.  One was a gift of $400.00 towards a new stoker and the other was a new Skel Gas Stove for the kitchen.  It is likely that neither of these purchases would have been made were it not for the generosity of our “Con”.  Con has talked of retiring for a long time.  He is growing old and he has worked faithfully for St. Mary’s for over 25 years.  He will probably make his home here since he knows no other, and we shall be glad to care for him as long as he lives.

On July 23rd Sister Catherine Metzger celebrated her Golden Jubilee.  It was a beautiful day.  Although Sister Catherine is weak with age, she was able to enjoy the day.  We had teased her a great deal before the day about “the golden slippers” so was made that the theme of the celebration.  We had golden slippers-place-cards in the refectory, and we sang a parody to the melody of “Them Golden Slippers”.  Sister Catherine has seen many changes in O’Neill and in St. Mary’s during her forty years here and she can tell many a stories of the unwritten history.  It was most edifying to all of us to know that she did not keep one of her Jubilee gifts.  She gave her Mass stipends to the suffering souls, and then went quietly back to her work “down stairs”, tending the milk and the butter.  It is remarkable that at her age she is so active.  She takes a loving interest in all and walks slowly around to see the progress of the work that is being done.  Her milk cellar and her butter cases are spotless.  She rises every morning with the community and attends all the community exercises; she is with us in the refectory and makes no exceptions.  When evening comes she is glad to go to her “nye-low” as she calls it and as she passes the chapel door she always turns for a Good-night greeting to our Lord.

August, 1939

One of the 1939 graduates, Ruth Taylor, spent a few days with us in order to get her ward-robe ready for entrance into the novitiate in Marycrest.  We are happy to have a postulant to send to our new Motherhouse, and we hope and pray that God will give us many more girls with true vocations.

There have been many applications from people who wish to send their children to our school this September.  We have worked hard to make the necessary repairs and improvements and we are trusting that God will bless our school with a large crowd of good children.  The hot weather and the grasshoppers damaged the crops in some places.  These facts have a direct bearing upon our enrollment and therefore we are keenly interested.

In an impressive ceremony Sister Marina renewed her vows on August 15th in our chapel.  Sister Marina is a St. Mary’s girl, so she was delighted to have the chance to renew her vows here in her own school.  Several young ladies sang the Benediction hymns and felt honored to be asked to do so.  Many thoughts arise in many hearts on such occasions.  May God be praised for His great goodness to us all!

September, 1939

On the first day of September our first boarder arrived and within a few days the other boarders and the day pupils had all registered and were ready to begin classes on September 7.  The number of boarders increased to sixty-four within the first week.

Ruth Taylor, who had been preparing to go to Denver, left on September 7, to enter the novitiate at Marycrest.  Francis Price, after spending the summer at St. Mary’s left also on September 7 to continue his studies in the seminary at Webster Grove, MO.

Since the departure of Sr. Clementine for the East, we had been without a Second Assistant.  On September 10, word was received from Denver that Sister Radigund had been appointed to this position.  Everyone was glad and as soon as our places were adjusted, we settled into regular convent routine.

The plaster on the corridor ceilings was so bad that it was necessary to replace it with steel ceilings.  The work was begun just before school opened but was not completed until near Christmas time

A telegram on the evening of September 16 brought us the glad news that Mother Erica was coming on a quick business trip.  We made arrangements to meet her at Grand Island and she arrived at St. Mary’s about 9:30 on the morning of the 19th and then left for Holy Rosary Mission to continue her business affairs.  We thoroughly enjoyed her short, quick visit.

Two courses were resumed in our school program this year.  Mrs. Kubitschek was engaged to take the classes in Physical Education and in Dramatics.   There has been a large enrollment in both courses, and keen interest has been shown.

The weather during September was favorable for work.  We had to have the buildings heated on several days.  Later in the month the weather was cloudy and dusty.  This condition brought on the usual head colds among the Sisters and children.

October, 1939

On the feast of St. Francis the boarders sang the Mass very well.  We were especially pleased that the whole service was carried on in correct liturgical manner.  The Gothic vestments add to the beauty of the services at the altar.

Early in October Father Ostdiek arrived to inspect our school.  Father came early in the morning and spent the day visiting the class rooms .He had several valuable criticisms to offer at the end of the day, and expressed his satisfaction with the conditions he found in the school.  He discussed the particular problems of Nebraska schools and advised us to attend the Teachers’ Conventions if possible.

We had a very unpleasant experience while on a trip to Grand Island to meet Sister Dolores on her return trip from Denver.  Soon after we started, the rain began to fall and a thick fog formed.  It was impossible to see the road ahead   and almost impossible to keep the car on the road.  At one bad place the car skidded and it was doubtful for a few seconds whether Basil Price, the driver, would be able to avoid a bad accident.  Needless to say, as soon as all were safe at home again, another way was found for getting Sister Dolores to and from Denver.

During the month an electric presser was purchased for the laundry.  Sr. Arnulfa has always done the veiling by hand and she has done it well.  But Sister is getting old, so the presser was purchased and it is a great help to her in taking care of the veiling.

Many people came to the Academy to purchase religious articles.  There is no place near that handles these articles, so we decided to buy a display show-case and put it into the parlor.  The case paid for itself in a short time and the customers are glad to have a source of supply near at hand.  Incidentally, we have sold a quantity of needle work at a neat profit to ourselves.

An Institute for the Grade School teachers was held on Friday, October 20th.  The children were dismissed from classes so that the teachers might attend the lectures.  The speakers were fine, enthusiastic men and women.  They gave practical demonstrations and devices for teaching; they seemed to speak from experience.  Each Sister who attended felt that she had derived much benefit from the   lectures, and that fresh interest had been infused into the work. Our pupils furnished part of the entertainment for the teachers.

During the week of October twenty-second, the High School teachers attended the State Teachers’ Convention in Norfolk and in Omaha.  The high school classes were dismissed and the boarders were allowed to go home during the days of the convention.  These days were days of inspiration.  Each teacher attended the lecture in which she was especially interested, and at a general meeting of our own after the convention each Sister gave a report of her impressions.  Each Sister felt that is had been a valuable experience because she had met other teachers; she had heard new ideas discussed; and she had a chance to compare her work with the work of others.  The officials at the convention were most courteous.

In order to thank Mr. Frolich for the gift of the band instruments, it was decided to give a public demonstration of band music in his honor.  At the same time we wished to give our Dramatic class a chance to perform, so we united the two projects and gave an entertainment the night of October 29th.  We urged the sale of tickets by using a “football” contest idea.  It worked so well that each class succeeded in making a “touchdown”.  The whole affair achieved its purpose which was to thank Mr. Frolich and to give the pupils experience in public performance.  Artistically, the entertainment was not so good.

This year an accident occurred.  One of the cars struck a soft place in the road and was completely wrecked.  The girls were badly shaken and scared, but not one was hurt.

November, 1939

The men of the town took up the annual coal collection and presented us with a goodly sum of money on November first.  We are most grateful to the good people of O’Neill for this splendid way of showing appreciation. God bless them.

It was decided in the school plan for the year, that each class should have an assembly.  The project was to be taken from the school and was to be a demonstration of it.  Sister George had the first one on November 3rd.  It was based on her character training idea and it was presented in an attractive, interesting manner.  The pupils conducted themselves very well.  The next assembly was given by Sister Electa’s Fourth Year English Class.  It was a mock trial, most amusing and entertaining.  The judges took the matter quite seriously.  Everyone felt that the pupils had learned a great deal about public speaking, arguments and parliamentary law through participation in the assembly.

A great improvement was made in the appearance of the class rooms by the removal of the old gas fixtures and the installation of indirect lighting fixtures.  We had waited a long time for this change and when it came we enjoyed it thoroughly.

We were delighted on the morning of   November 14th to hear the boarders pray the Mass prayers from their missals.  We had all hoped that this could be done and with the purchase of booklets for only five cents, it was possible for every child to assist at Holy Mass by reciting the Mass prayers.  We feel that this training will carry over into their lives beyond school days and that it will be a real benefit to them.

At the suggestion of dear Mother Erica, we began to keep silence during the afternoon recreation period on Fridays.  We are all glad to do this little penance and to offer it as a petition to our dear Lord that He may stop the war in Europe and avert it from our own dear country.

December, 1939

As usual on the Feast of St. Cecilia, the music department presented a recital which was very well done.  The large audience was most attentive; the children behaved beautifully and performed their musical selections in a manner that reflected credit upon themselves and upon the school.  The children showed the training that had been given them, and one could see that the recital had been well practiced and intelligently managed.

On the First Friday of December, we had the great joy of adoration all day.  This privilege had been ours for years and then for a while it was discontinued.  Now, the great grace had been restored to us and we shall do all in our power to honor our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, and to show our gratitude for this extraordinary favor.

Sister Alexia’s turn to give an assembly came on December 5th.  She chose as her topic “The Constitution” and arranged a socialized recitation.  The assembly was well conducted.  The pupils handled the subject in an interesting, intelligent manner, and they must have learned a great deal about the Constitution while preparing the assembly.

Sister Arthur’s assembly which featured young people in Bookland was very cleverly presented by the pupils of the fifth and sixth grades.  Prominent characters from juvenile literature animated the scene with grace and charm that enticed the rather indolent modern youth to friendship.  None were timid in claiming their rights and Pinocchio and Topsy won the admiration of both students and faculty.

Sister Mildred selected a Health Program for the assembly presentation with her little second graders, and they in their quaint little manner lectured on good health rules with wisdom and grace.

Mrs. Kubitchek, the directress of physical education aroused the enthusiasm and school sprit by implementing a basketball game between the freshmen and sophomore girls.  The sophomores won the day, but not because the freshmen lacked enthusiasm.

Sister Beontine presented Great Men born in February.  Sister worked very hard with the result that the class neatly and properly costumed, very creditably introduced us to Lincoln, Washington, Holmes, etc. all of whom we enjoyed very much.

St. Nicholas was good to us.    The day was spoiled somewhat by the illness of our Mother who was sick on that day and on her name day.  However, we made up for the celebration later.  The display of needle work was especially fine and most practical, because the pieces were labeled and packed immediately for the benefactors.

The reception into the Sodality is always as impressive affair.  This year there were forty boys and girls admitted.  Father Parr made this ceremony solemn by his decent and excellent sermon.  After the services a light lunch was served to the students.

Sister Rolanda left us on December 11th for Holy Rosary Mission to take charge of the Sister’s kitchen there.  Sister had worked in St. Mary’s for a period of twenty-three years which means most of her religious life.  We all wish her God’s blessings and much happiness in her new home.

For some time there were questions of our boys having the privilege of using the new public school gym for practice and for games.  A plan was finally arranged whereby our boy’s were to use the gym both for practice and for games.  On December 13th, our boys played the first game in the new gym and succeeded in beating the Butte, Nebraska team.  After the game the boys came back to the Academy for the usual lunch.

The Christmas entertainment was made beautiful by a torch light procession of children singing the “Adesto” to the band accompaniment.  The children entered the darkened hall and marched to their places on bleachers near the stage.  The two one-act plays, “Christmas at Casey’s” and “Christopher’s Candle” were quite well acted.  The singing especially of the soloists was fine.

Classes closed for the Christmas vacation on Wednesday, December 20th.  Monsignor McNamera, Father Parr and several of the Sisters were invited to the senior classroom to listen to the singing of the carols and to participate in the distribution of gifts.  A happy Christmas spirit was in evidence everywhere in the school.  The classrooms had been prettily decorated beforehand.  The gift of the children to the school was a radio for each classroom.  The radios had been installed and were ready for use on this closing afternoon.  The pupils presented their teachers with personal gifts and also gave each other lovely presents.  The house was quiet.

The basketball team added another victory to their list and another trophy to the school by winning the tournament at Spalding.  On this occasion the appearance of the team was improved by the new red sweat suits.  The boys have done very well so far this season and made a fine close to the year of 1939.

Christmas brought us a beautiful snow, just perfect for the day.  We had two Holy Masses in our chapel.  Donations of flowers, money, food and sweets gave us many reasons for thanking our Lord on His Birthday.  The friends of the Academy were very good to us.  The six o’clock Mass in the parish church was so crowded that many had to wait until the next Mass in order to receive Holy Communion.  The Ciborium was not large enough to contain the Hosts for so many.  That is the first time in the history of the parish that so many received.  It was estimated that over nine hundred fifty received Holy Communion on Christmas day.

Holy Innocents found us ready to celebrate in fine style.  The fun started at breakfast and continued until bedtime, one thing after another, always something different with plenty of laughter.  We really had a very god time and not much work.

On the last day of the year, we had retreat and the Blessed Sacrament was exposed from ten to four-thirty.  We are most grateful to God for the blessings and graces He so lovingly has given us this year.  He has preserved us from evil; He has provided for all our needs. May His Holy Name be praised and may we spend the next year in serving Him with ever greater and purer love.

A. H. D.S.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

             

 



References (13)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.
  • Response
    For this article. I think the authors write very well. Content lively and interesting. Details are as follows:http://www.weissenburg.de/longchamp.asp or http://www.weissenburg.de/longchamp.asp Hollister Online Shop
  • Response
    Response: Niagara therapy
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    Response: read this review
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    Response: fiberglass panels
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    Response: blue crib bedding
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE
  • Response
    Response: Ebon Talifarro
    1939 - "Cardinal Pacelli" - Academy Chronicles - St. Mary's O'Neill, NE

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
All HTML will be escaped. Hyperlinks will be created for URLs automatically.